INSURANCE REIMBURSEMENT FOR CRANIAL HAIR PROSTHESIS/MEDICAL WIGS
PROSTHETIC MEDICAL WIG INSURANCE COVERAGE
If you require a wig for an existing medical condition, you may be eligible for purchase reimbursement from your health insurance provider. Coverage and your eligibility will vary on your health insurance company and your insurance policy.
Most insurance companies will reimburse a percentage or the full amount for a cranial hair prosthesis (a WIG) for anyone suffering from medical hair loss. In order to find out if you are eligible for Medical ‘prosthetic’ wig coverage read the information below:
WHAT DO I DO FIRST?
- CONTACT YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY to find out if a medical ‘hair replacement’ unit or a ‘cranial hair prosthesis’ qualifies for reimbursement, and if so what are the requirements. Medical terminology is essential when communicating with the Insurance Company business. Make absolutely sure that you use these words = ‘cranial prosthesis’. If you use the word ‘WIG’ then you are likely to get denied or the run around. In general, wigs are defined in the insurance industry as a cosmetic enhancement product which would be considered an out of pocket expense.
- CONFIRMED MEDICAL COVERAGE FOR CRANIAL PROSTHESIS/GET YOUR PRESCRIPTION When consulting with your doctor request a prescription and ensure that the prescription references ‘cranial prosthesis’. Also, prior to consulting with your doctor; validate the insurance companies required items to be present on the prpment escription.
- PURCHASE YOUR WIG Contact US to inform us of the Medical Wig Purchase so that we can ensure that we provide you with a receipt that is a) itemized b) notates ‘cranial prosthesis’ and c) includes our Taxpayer Number.
- FILE YOUR CLAIM When filing your claim, you may be required to claim it under Durable Medical Equipment (DME).
- Prepare a folder to keep all of your documents in one place
- Doctor’s prescription
- Itemized sales receipt for the cranial prosthesis
- Insurance claim (original and copies)
- Other emails related to the conversations with professionals
TYPES OF HAIR LOSS FOR INSURANCE REIMBURSEMENT
- Alopecia Hair Loss
- Chemotherapy Related Hair Loss
- Radiation Related Hair Loss
- Thyroid Related Hair Loss
- Kidney Related Hair Loss
- Cancer Related Hair Loss
- Medical Issue Related Hair Loss
View More Options